Friday, October 10, 2008

Tony Hawk Helmet

Fall is in the air and we are finally emerging from our summer hibernation. Since we live in Bizarro world we will be spending as much time outside as possible this winter. Brady has difficulty regulating his body temperature and this new addition to his wardrobe makes things even hotter…Brady’s physical therapist fitted him months ago for a specific helmet which had to be ordered through our insurance company. Thanks to a heap of red tape and bureaucracy, the helmet has never arrived, despite the fact that Troy ordered it in July. After Brady got, literally, a golf ball-sized lump on his head from a fall at school (one of many), I got very upset and angry with myself for not finding another helmet. Since it’s much easier to be angry at someone else, I blamed Troy. Not my finest moment. He rushed out and bought the Tony Hawk helmet.

A few nights later, I found him cutting up a tennis headband and hand-stitching it together. Troy will kill me for sharing this, but seriously... he hand-sewed this padding over the helmet’s clasp so it wouldn’t pinch or irritate Brady’s chin. I don’t know very many guys who would do something like this. So I am an even bigger turd than I previously thought for pointing my anger towards him. Check out his work...

Brady doesn't love wearing the helmet, but it’s allowing him so much more independence to cruise around without us hovering there to catch him.

He is walking really well these days. He cruises so fast and has a newfound confidence that, ironically, is making him more susceptible to falls. He does NOT like to hold hands and insists on doing everything his way. In fact, I think his little strut is turning into a full blown swagger.

12 comments:

{jane} said...

Dad of the year! Troy should be proud, he puts many men to shame!

I love Brady & his curly hair poking out under the Tony Hawk helmet...I can totally picture his swagger!

enjoy the "fall" weather - we are supposed to have SNOW this weekend, of all ubsurdness!

we miss you guys!

dara said...

You have a good man. Just sent out Lola's bday invitation...hope you guys can come!

Shay said...

I love Tony Hawk and the helmet! Brady is soo cute..even if he doesn't really like it. How wonderful that he is able to get around and be a bit safer! And kudo's to dad and his great ideas!

Nate said...

That helmet is a great idea! I love that you guys just did it yourselves and left all medical red tape mess behind.

Once we get Whit walking without her walker we'll follow your example. It looks like a great way to avoid some of those bumps on the noggin!

Annalyn said...

I love that - hybernation from Summer...I know a few other fellow Arizonians that would say that same thing!! I love the helmet too - it's great that he thinks he looks so cool in it, way to go Brady!!

Unknown said...

Oh Troy! I didn't know you were such a Susie Homemaker. How sweet is that Kajsa! Glad to hear Brady is doing well and he looks so darn CUTE in that helmet. :)

jenn said...

Troy is an amazing Dad. Nothing like a man who is willing to show a little initiative.

I love the helmet. Luke got the same one for his birthday and I think it's the coolest looking helmet ever!

Brady, can't wait to see your swagger. We might just have to start calling you Captian Jack Farnsworth. :)

Enjoy your weather! As Jane said, it did snow this weekend. We woke up Sunday to our lawn completely covered in white. I'm pretty sure it's only the middle of October. What the heck?!?

Kimberly Whitaker said...

I love the helmet idea. We have hand made a few things for Abbie that we love. I think it is great that Troy did this. What a Dad!
Kim and Abbie

Heather said...

This looks really terrific! Thanks for stopping by our blog. Glad you were able to find it. I hope we get to meet in Indy! :)
Heather

Unknown said...

Oh yes, any mother can relate! More independence and freedom, more error! It's life, and we hate watching them fall!

Pooh on slow insurance. Go Troy for taking care of your dude! Go Kajsa for admitting your wrong in front of everyone!!!! I wouldn't go THAT far!!!

I love that Brady is the man and taking chances! He is growing so much!!!

Happy Halloween!

Jenae said...

We love keeping up with Brady and his progress! We now have a blog andyandjenae.blogspot.com We should get together soon!

Julie and Jason said...

Go Troy! That helmet makes Brady look way cool - you will have him "skating" in no time! Enjoy your Arizona winter - we will be thinking of you loving the outside while we are stuck inside hibernating here in Indy!